Blackout Poetry is one of my favorite things to do when I am stuck in a rut. It is the same thing I previously posted as Altered Pages as this style of art has many names. It is a fantastic way for anyone to find a different meaning within a given text.
You start with a page from a novel. Then you look for words inside the text that create a poem of sorts. You circle those words and the draw/paint artwork around it. You can use whatever art style you like and use the images you add to help illustrate the found poem.
I like to keep a few pages to work on here and there. Like a word search with no clues or correct answers, that you get to colour.
I was intrigued by some posts I saw online about altered book art. This style of art uses pages from books and adds art work on top of the text to create the pieces. I saw examples using ink, pastel, acrylic paint and watercolour. Since I have a class coming up that is based on an artist that uses both images, words and weaving I decided to do some experimenting.
The first thing I did was pick up a used book that look old. I bought a copy of "Mostly In Clover" by Harry J. Boyle, printing in 1963. I loved the old look of the book and the older way it was written. From the snippets I glanced at the book seems to be about growing up in rural Ontario.
The next part was the hardest for me. Being a book lover I would never support destroying books so cutting a page out of a book was hard to do, not psychically but mentally. It took me three days to start the project because of this. I felt like I should at least read the book first but then thought maybe I'd get attached to it and then I wouldn't' be able to use it for this project. Silly I know but that's what ran through my mind.
Eventually I sliced a page out and started in on my first experiment.
I looked at the page I cut out and started to read though the text circling words that stood out, trying to weave together an sentence or thought with those words. I then decided on the imagery I wanted to reinforce the words I had chosen and the method by which I would create the art around the words. I experimented with different materials including watercolour, acrylic and ink. I even did some simple stitching with embroidery floss to lead the eye from word to word.
Here is a catalog of my creative adventures and experiments