It's been a lot of ordering online these days. So much packing materials to recycle or throw out....or make art?
This foam insert was left over from something we had ordered and I just had to make it into something. With the addition of a juice can lid, some cereal cardboard, a bit of paint and some leftover yard and this guys was done.
I think of him as my studio mascot.
There is a small problem I have. I've been doing a lot of painting. I don't have the wall space to frame and hang anymore but I still want to be able to display some of my new art pieces.
The old throw pillows on my couch were getting pretty ratty and I have repaired them several times so I thought it was time to get new ones. Why not get my art printed on pillows for my couch?
I found an online site that you can upload family photos and get them printed on canvas or on throw blankets or even pillows. I took a chance and uploaded some designs and waited for the pillows to arrive. I was quite happy with how they turned out and love how they look on my couch. I gave several as gifts to friends and family as well.
While I was ordering a second batch of pillows I added in some umbrellas which were surprisingly cheap. Each panel had a different piece of my art on it. The contrast wasn't great but I was still pretty happy with the outcomes and now have a functional piece of art I can use on a dark gloomy rainy day.
I wanted to make a mobile for my cousins new baby girl and came across the pattern for a Matryoshka Doll on My Sparkle
I decided to sew five dolls each a bright colour and each with a decoration on their tummy representing our love of the four season. I hung them all from a piece of driftwood I found at the beach. I think it turned out quite beautifully.
Thanks to My Sparkle for sharing her initial pattern!
October is Hallowe'en maker month. It was a month of madness that tested my newfound sewing skills to the maximum. First off my twins decided to go as Finn and Fiona (Finn's female equivalent from an opposite reality) from the TV show Adventure Time. I quickly found an online tutorial and pattern for making a Finn hat. Fiona's hat though was move curved and had bigger ears than the Finn hat so I altered the Finn pattern to create a new pattern for Fiona. The trickiest part was figuring out how to wire form the ears so that they remained standing upright. It took two tries for me to get it working right. I was quite happy with the results. For these costumes I also had a make green backpacks for either of them, the sword of their choice (Finn chose the regular sword and Fiona chose the Wish Star Sword) both of which I made using some ideas I found online and then altered to use materials I had on hand. Fiona's skirt I also made using an old T-shirt I cut down to make into a pencil skirt.
The kids were thrilled with their costumes and the Adventure Time theme caught on at school with two of their friends wanting to be characters from the show as well. I went back to my sewing machine this time to make a Jake the Dog and Cake the Cat hats for their friends costumes. I started with the same idea as the Finn hats but modified the patterns to create the final look. The four of them looked fantastic in their final costumes and worthy of any Adventure Time cosplay party.
Next challenge was for my husband and my son costumes. They both wanted to be Clown Sharks, inspired by the Youtube Rhett and Link Clown Shark video. There was no online patterns available for this. There wasn't even some homemade costumes ideas to help point me in the right direction. Lucky for me I had a small shark costume already that I had picked up used a few years back that was usable for my son. There wasn't a huge selection of shark costumes for my husband though so I decided to make it from scratch...well almost scratch. I found a gray fleece sweater in the local thrift store and using a gray fleece blanket of the same colour created a huge shark head that I could sew onto the sweater. The shoes I made out of an old pair of boots with paper and duct tape. The two of them looked spectacular in their costumes and I was pleased o how they turned out.
My own costume was supposed to be something along the lines of a Cheshire cat but my mask ended up looking way scarier than I had intended and I switched up my idea to make myself into The Deadly Black Catshark. I made a cat hat (along the lines of all the other hats I had made) and a scary mask using polymer clay glued to a plastic form. It was hard to see in the mask and super hot but it was fun to create regardless of how little time I was actually able to wear the mask.
Since Hallowe'en fell on a Saturday we decided to throw an Hallowe'en party for our neighbors and friends. We turned out basement into a haunted house and decorated the front lawn with ghosts and tombstones. The tombstones were fun to make, using polystyrene sheets, acrylic paint and spray paint. The two ghost we created were made of packing tape modeled on my kids who willingly sat while I wrapped them in parts with tape. With the lights and cheese clothes added, they looked quite amazing. The Hallowe'en costumes and décor are all packed away now with the exception of the jars of human heads. think I will keep them on my shelf as book ends.
Here is a catalog of my creative adventures and experiments